The Garden of Earthly Delights is one of the oldest public gardens in Seville. It was called Arjona's Garden of Earthly Delights, since it was set up during the mandate of the Seville Mayor José Manuel de Arjona y Cubas, between 1825 and 1835.
They were made within the general remodeling process of the eastern bank of the river. With the same objective, the wall that linked the Torres del Oro and Torres de la Plata crossing the current Paseo Colón was demolished, and the Jardines de Cristina were created in front of the Palacio de San Telmo.
Since their creation they have undergone various modifications. Artistically, the most significant occurred around 1864, when a series of Italian sculptures from the 18th century were brought in. They came from the Archiepiscopal Palace of Umbrete, which had suffered a fire in 1862. Some of them can still be seen in the garden, but most of them were replaced by replicas in 2006, while the originals were returned to Umbrete. For the arrangement of the sculptures in the palace, the Portuguese-born sculptor Cayetano de Acosta made a series of pedestals that we can also see today in the Garden.
The Garden gained great prominence as a result of the celebration of the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929, since it became one of the landscaped spaces around which the event was held. In fact, it lost part of its original dimensions when the pavilions of Argentina and Guatemala were arranged to the North and that of Morocco to the South, pavilions that fortunately have survived to this day.