The Cathedral of Seville is probably the most emblematic monument in the city. Unesco declared it a World Heritage Site in 1987, along with the Alcázar and the Archivo de Indias. It is considered the largest Gothic temple in the world.
Most of its workmanship was made in late Gothic style during the 15th century, although it retains elements of the 12th-century Almohad mosque on which it stands, such as the Patio de los Naranjos or the Giralda. In addition, in the 16th century the Royal Chapel, the Chapter House and the Main Sacristy were added in Renaissance style. Later, during the Baroque and practically until today, various elements of the cathedral were added and remodeled, until it became a true compendium of the history of art in the city.
Its floor plan is called hall, with a flat headboard and five naves, the central one being taller and wider than the rest. It has numerous side chapels located between the buttresses.
The supports are huge pillars with a rhomboid section, made of brick and masonry and covered with ashlars. On them are built rib vaults, so characteristic of the Gothic. They are sexpartite in the chapels, quadripartite in the naves and starry ones corresponding to the transept, in the central part of the temple.
On the side chapels and on the main axes a narrow gallery opens as a clerestory.
Its construction was approved by the cathedral chapter in 1401. Legend has it that the project would be inspired by the phrase “Let’s make a church so beautiful and so great that those who see it carved think us crazy” and according to the chapter minutes of that day the new work had to be “one such and so good that there is no other like it.”