This convent was built at the end of the 14th century as Hospital de Santa Marta, a name by which many Sevillians still know it. At the end of the 19th century it became a convent, when the community of Augustinian nuns who occupied the original convent of La Encarnación, which was located in the square of the same name ('las Setas'), moved here.
What remains of the Hospital was the chapel, which became a convent church after the arrival of the nuns. It has a single nave and its presbytery stands out, which has the traditional square shape of the Islamic and Mudejar 'qubbas', covered by a vault with eight panels on tubes. The rest of the church is covered with a Gothic ribbed vault, supported on four interesting corbels with the symbols of the evangelists.
With the reconditioning of the 19th century, some reforms were made to the old hospital. It was then that the door leading to the Plaza Virgen de los Reyes was opened, the choirs were built and the vault was fitted with a lantern.
The main altarpiece was formed with sculptures from the disappeared convent, made around 1675 and by an anonymous author. From there come the group of the Incarnation or Annunciation that is located in the central niche and the two 'Santos Juanes' on the sides (San Juan Evangelista and San Juan Bautista). The presence of these two saints in the conventual churches of the city was a constant throughout the Modern Age. In the attic there is a small image of Santa Marta, of a different authorship and that would probably already be in the church before the arrival of the Augustinians.
On the sides of the main altar there are two neoclassical altarpieces from the 19th century, not of great artistic quality. In them and throughout the rest of the church a series of saints from the 18th and 19th centuries are distributed.