OLD CASTLE OF SAN JORGE

In the place where the Triana Market is located today, a castle was built in the Almohad period (XIII) that would later be known as the castle of San Jorge. It may have been built on previous constructions, even Roman or Visigothic, and that it was refortified after the Muslim defeat in the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa (1212).

‘Annales d'Espagne et du Portugal’, 1741

It had ten towers that articulated a robust fortified space with a rectangular plan. The Christians would establish the headquarters of the Inquisition in Seville there in 1480, so it is certain that it was the scene of numerous episodes of imprisonment and torture throughout its history. Some of the events that occurred there have been narrated as brilliant as the one offered by Beethoven in his opera "Fidelio", which is set in this castle.

It continued to be the seat of the Inquisition until the end of the 18th century, when it was abandoned. Already at the beginning of the 19th century it was demolished and a market was built on its site. At the end of the current market, in the part that faces Castilla street, some of the great walls that belonged to the primitive castle can still be seen today.

WALL OF THE JEWISH QUARTER

In Fabiola street we find a fragment of the wall barely ten meters long, which constitutes the only visible remains of the Jewish quarter wall that have come down to us. This wall was built in the 13th century to separate the Jewish community of Seville from the rest of the city, surrounding the current neighborhoods of Santa Cruz and San Bartolomé. This fence had a series of gates that were closed at night, trying to guarantee the safety of the Jewish community in the city. However, the monumentality of this wall did not prevent violent episodes, such as the dramatic assault in 1391 that killed hundreds of Seville Jews.

CC BY-SA 4.0

The fragment that we see here is made of mud and at its base we can see the characteristic millstones inserted, so common in many of the buildings in the neighborhood. Its original purpose was to avoid possible damage caused by the axles of the wheels of the carts, especially on narrow roads like this one.

REAL DOOR OR GOLES DOOR

In this space was located one of the gates of the walled enclosure of the city. Today disappeared, only the canvas of the wall that had an annex has come down to us. It was called Puerta de Goles at least since the Christian conquest of the city until the 16th century. It became known as the Royal Gate after Philip II visited Seville in 1570, being the first king to enter the city through this gate. Until then, the monarchs entered the city through the Puerta de la Macarena.

CC BY-SA 4.0

WALL OF THE CABILDO SQUARE

We can see here a fragment of about 60 meters of wall, built in the 13th century creating a fortress that was located in this area as part of the complex defensive framework that surrounded the Alcázar and the great mosque at the end of the Islamic period.

CC BY-SA 4.0

It is built with mud wall and preserves the walkway and the battlements. To the north, a tower has also been preserved, but it is not visible from the part of the Cabildo as it has lost its upper part and is therefore covered behind the wall.

At the exit from the square towards Arfe street, inserted between the residential building, another fragment of the wall can be seen, with the same dating and characteristics.

GATE OF OIL

It is one of the few gates of the walled enclosure of the city that have survived to this day. Its original construction has been dated to the Almohad period, probably in the 12th century, and it has been identified with the 'bab al-Qatai' or 'Gate of the Ships', which is mentioned in Muslim sources. This name would come from its proximity to the Almohad shipyards, also built in the 12th century.

The current name already appears in Christian times, in relation to the market and the oil warehouses that were located in the vicinity.
Its current appearance is far from the original and is mostly due to the reform undertaken by Benvenuto Tortello in the 16th century, focused on facilitating vehicle traffic through the shutter.
Also from the 16th century seems to be the monumental shield of Seville that is located on the opening towards the center of the city. It has been attributed to the Renaissance sculptor Juan Bautista Vázquez el Viejo.
Next to the Postigo is the small Chapel of La Pura y Limpia, built in the 18th century. There a small image of the Immaculate attributed to Pedro Roldán is venerated.

WALLS OF ALCAZAR

In the Plaza del Triunfo and in Calle Romero Murube we can see a fragment of about 150 meters of the original walls of the 'Dar al-Imara' or 'Casa del Gobernador', the original Alcázar built in the Caliphate period, at the beginning of the 10th century.

It is the most monumental and beautiful canvas of the wall among those preserved in the city. Unlike the rest of the Sevillian walls, here they were built using huge blocks of stone, many of them from the old Roman walls, which had to be demolished due to the growth of the city in the Islamic period.

Inserted in the wall, a series of seven towers with a rectangular floor plan and also raised with ashlars have been preserved. Both in the towers and in the wall you can see in the upper part the section increased by the Almohads, already in the 13th century.

In this wall canvas we find two doors. The closest to the Plaza de la Alianza is the Puerta de la Herradura, now blinded. It owes its name to its horseshoe arch shape, framed by an alfiz. Apparently, originally it gave access to a guard post or headframe, added to the wall during the extension of the Taifa period (XI).

In the Plaza del Triunfo we find the Gate of the Patio de Banderas, probably opened in the Almohad period (XII-XIII), as the two columns with capitals from this period that flank it on the patio side seem to attest. It is one of the few examples of Almohad columns preserved in situ that have survived to this day.

In the Almohad period, the canvas on which the Puerta del León is located today was also built. The towers that flank this door are, therefore, from different periods. The one on the left side, built with ashlars, is from the Caliphate period (X), while the one on the right was built in the Almohad period (XIII), mostly in brick. Next to this second one, and facing Miguel de Mañara street, you can see the original access entrance to the Almohad Alcázar, blinded when it was replaced by the current Puerta del León, opened during the reign of Pedro I (XIV).

TOWER OF ABDELAZIZ

Also called Torre de Santo Tomás. It was built in the Almohad period, in the 13th century, as part of the canvas of the wall that linked the Alcázar with the Torre del Oro. It has a hexagonal floor plan and is about 15 meters high, being solid in the first 8 meters.

It is built with brick, reinforced with ashlars at the base and at the corners. In its upper half, it is crossed by the two horizontal stripes so characteristic of the Almohad towers. Each wall is decorated at the top with polylobed blind arches framed by alfices.

GATE OF ABDELAZIZ

Also called Arco de la Plata or Arco de Mañara. It is one of the entrance doors through which the walled enclosure that surrounded the Alcázar was accessed. It was built in the Almohad period, probably already in the 13th century, like the Torre del Oro. From the Islamic construction, the original horseshoe arch, framed by an alfiz, can still be seen from the Avenida de la Constitución.

However, most of what has come down to us responds to the reform undertaken in the fourteenth century, in Christian times. It was then that the Gothic rib vault that covers it today was arranged.

WALL OF SAN GREGORIO STREET

This fragment of barely 20 meters of wall was built in the Almohad period, in the middle of the 12th century, forming part of the so-called third enclosure of the Alcázar. It was built when the Alcázar was enlarged to be configured as a citadel, doubling its original surface. It is built in mud, like most of the Sevillian walls, although in this case we can see how the original construction was increased at some later time with brick.

Dibujo de la Torre de la Plata en Sevilla

TOWER OF SILVER

The Torre de la Plata is located in what is now Santander street, and was originally linked to the Torre del Oro by a stretch of wall, most of which has now disappeared. Both were probably built at the same time, in the Almohad period, around 1220. They were part of the defensive complex to the south of the city, the port and the surroundings of the Alcázar, together with other towers such as that of Abdelaziz, which is still preserved on Constitution Avenue.

It has an octagonal plan and is simpler than the Gold in its structure and decoration, although in all probability they were built at approximately the same time. What does seem probable is that it already grew in Christian times, in the time of Alfonso X, during the second half of the 13th century. We know that in Christian times it was also called Torre de los Azacanes. Azacán is a word of Arabic origin that designated those who were dedicated to carrying water using animals. It is probable that he habitually entered the city through the shutter that was next to this tower and that is where the name comes from.

Next to the tower, a fragment of the wall of about 80 meters is preserved, which adopts an 'L' shape to enter the spaces historically occupied by the dependencies of the Casa de la Moneda.

In Detail → GOLD AND SILVER TOWERS