Also called Chapel of Maese Rodrigo. This small chapel is a beautiful example of the Sevillian Gothic-Mudejar style. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century and is the only remainder of the old Colegio de Santa María de Jesús, which was the seed of what would later become the University of Seville. The premises of the old school, which were attached to the Chapel, were demolished at the beginning of the 20th century to open the current Avenida de la Constitución.
CC BY-SA 4.0
The driving force behind the creation of this primitive school was Rodrigo Fernández de Santaella. Hence, it is sometimes identified as the Chapel of Maese Rodrigo.
On the main façade we can see a beautiful ogee arch, rare in Sevillian churches, built with bichrome bricks, like the beautiful belfry. On the side façade we can see a beautiful richly decorated Gothic window, while on the lateral façade there is a simple Mudejar window with a polylobed arch and made of brick.
The interior is a single nave divided into two sections. The first, at the foot, is covered by a wooden paneling of clear Mudejar tradition. The second, at the head, is covered by Gothic ribbed vaults with terceletes. Between both parts, a large pointed arch arranged in the manner of a triumphal arch. The original tile baseboards have been preserved, made using the dry rope technique.
Artistically, it is worth highlighting the main altarpiece, a magnificent work by the painter Alejo Fernández, made around 1520, in a transitional style between Gothic and Renaissance. In the central niche is a Byzantine-style image of the Virgin and Child, probably made in Italy.